Our Worst Fears Realized
Just before dawn on September 5, 1972, Palestinian terrorists penetrated the Olympic village and seized the Israeli Olympic team. By midnight that night, all 11 would be dead following a failed rescue attempt on the tarmac of Munich airport.
Several hours later the world sobbed as Jim McKay uttered the words “they’re all gone.”
I spoke with former Congressman Tom McMillen who was a member of the 1972 U.S. Olympic team about the Munich tragedy in 2012.
- Shot during the initial break-in
- Killed at the airport
- Ze’ev Friedman, weightlifter
- David Berger, weightlifter (survived grenade but died of smoke inhalation)
- Yakov Springer, weightlifting judge
- Eliezer Halfin, wrestler
- Yossef Gutfreund, wrestling referee
- Kehat Shorr, shooting coach
- Mark Slavin, wrestler
- Andre Spitzer, fencing coach
- Amitzur Shapira, track coach
The Israeli attempt to avenge the loss was depicted in the acclaimed film “Munich.”