SUPER BOWL DROUGHTS
THE FUTILE FOUR and the THE NOT SO FORTUNATE FIVE
Only four NFL teams have not been to the Super Bowl – Detroit, Houston, Jacksonville and Cleveland. Among them Detroit stands out for football. futility.
- Record: 308-434-10 (49 Seasons)
- Div. Titles: 3
- Playoff Record: 1-11
- Last Appearance: 2014
- Closest to Super Bowl: Lost 1992 NFC Championship 41-10
The Lions played in 4 NFL Championship Games from 1952-1957, winning 3 titles.
Since then they have won only one playoff game and are the only NFL team to go 0-16.
- Record: 88-120 (13 Seasons)
- Div Titles: 2
- Playoff Record: 2-2
- Last Playoff Appearance: 2012
- Closest to the Super Bowl: Lost Divisional Playoffs twice, most recently in 2013 to New England Patriots 41-28.
Unlike the Lions, the expansion Texans have an excuse — they’ve only been in the league 13 seasons (and have already won one more playoff game than Detroit has over 49 seasons).
- Record: 147-173 (20 Seasons)
- Div Titles: 2
- Playoff Record: 5-6
- Last Playoff Appearance: 2007
- Closest to the Super Bowl: Lost Conference Championship in 1996 and 1999 seasons.
In their second season, the Jaguars not only made it to the playoffs but were in the AFC Championship game where they lost to the Patriots 20-6. Three years later they were back after sending Dan Marino into retirement with a record-setting 62-7 rout of the Miami Dolphins, but lost 33-14 to the Tennessee Titans.
After going to the playoffs in four of their first five seasons, they have only been twice since. In the last four seasons they have been a miserable 14-50.
- Record: 84-172 (16 Years)
- Div Titles: 0
- Playoff Record: 0-1
- Last Playoff Appearance: 2002
- Closest to the Super Bowl: Lost Wild Card Game
The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore after the 1995 season having played in 11 NFL Championship Games from 1950-1969 (winning four) but never making it to the Super Bowl. The Baltimore Ravens won Super Bowls in 2000 and 2012. Under a settlement with the league, Cleveland got an expansion franchise and can claim the old Browns record in Super Bowl era futility as their own. Oh boy.
THE NOT SO FORTUNATE FIVE
Five NFL teams have only been to the Super Bowl once and lost.
Arizona, Carolina and Tennessee barely lost in the final seconds.
San Diego and Atlanta did not fare as well, with each losing in a blow out in their only Super Bowl appearance. The Chargers lost 49-26 to San Francisco in Super Bowl XXIX and the Falcons lost 34-19 to Denver in Super Bowl XXXIII.